Roof Insulation Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancestudio

Reaction score
We have A dance Studio in a old warehouse the roof is not insulated there is no attic just open space from floor to the underside of the roof. Question can I use faced or unfaced bat insulation on the underside of the roof, the room is heated and cooled year round . Thanks

If you are not going to sheet-rock I would used non paper and then staple 6mil plastic as a vapor barrier over the insulation (1 solid pc.)

The paper on the insulation is a vapor barrier, but the issue is if you don't cover the paper with sheet-rock the paper is a fire hazard. The plastic then become the vapor barrier.

You will want to leave a space between your insulation and the roof sheeting for air flow and you will need air flow from the sofit to ridge vent in every bay.
In new construction when this is planned for they strap the rafters with 2x4s under the sheeting, witch allows regular venting to work.

Good point Neal you do need air flow there is a product that you can put between the insulation and plywood around here it is called prop-r vent not sure on the spelling but basically it is a piece of ridged foam board or Styrofoam that creates this gap for air flow.

Is it a steel roof or wood? If you have fiberglass insulation right against any roof you'll cause moisture which causes mold\rot and a new roof If there is no room to ven i suggest 2 pound foam

Back