Rotting siding:how do I fix it??pix

Discussion in 'Roofing and Siding' started by SeattleDIY, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

I have some rot where my cedar siding is contacting the concrete. apparently the previous owners added about 2" of comcrete over a previous 2".

I intend to fix all the problems this summer. So how do keep the water from going into the cracks??metal flashing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 3, 2008 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Hello SeattleDIY:
    You might try cutting the cedar siding off 2" above the concrete and yes, the metal flashing will certainly help. It will be a chore to dig the covered siding out of the concrete but I think it will be worth it. I would also use a good elastomeric caulk in the place of the siding in the concrete (silicone, butyl rubber, etc.).
    I appreciate the pictures you included, however my computer won't open them. I used the right click and open pictrue thing but it doesn't work. I don't know whether its the computer or the operator that is too dense but I do have a good idea.
    Hang in there!
    Glenn

3. Dec 3, 2008 #3

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

That strange. you should be able to see them in the post.

4. Dec 4, 2008 #4

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

SeattleDIY

Thanks for the info. If you look at the left corner that is where the siding starts. I have a feeling that when I take off the siding,there will be no foundation or it will be very short.

5. Dec 4, 2008 #5

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Hello SeattleDIY:
    Today your pictures are showing just fine. I was thinking cedar shakes but I see it is dutch lap. I still hold to my answer and I think RoofingGod has a good handle on the product to caulk with.
    Glenn

6. Dec 9, 2008 #6

spaz2965

spaz2965

spaz2965

I also agree with glenn, and the god 2" above grade and flash with a kicker at the bottom to divert the water away from building and good caulk.