Running a gas line to the garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_dakuda

Reaction score
I am considering heating my detached 2.5 car garage. It is about 80 ft away from the house.

The current game plan is to get a gas powered heater or old furnace out there. What is the best way to run the gas to and into the garage?

I ran gas to my shop, and used 1" steel black pipe. Some states will allow pvc, but it is not a good idea, and can be dangerous. It's not that hard to do.

I am not sure where you reside, but most jurisdictions allow or require MDPE gas line buried at a minimum 18" now. Some still allow epoxy coated black pipe with sealed and taped joints.

I kept a wood stove in mine for some time. I had an exhaust system and it seemed to work great. It would get to hot at times, but as long as I kept it obstruction free it was better than any gas powered heater I've ever used. Not to mention my chances of blowing up were drastically reduced!

had the same problem ran soft copper, from the house underground , removed a expansion joint to cross the concrete driveway and contuined underground to the workshop , note you can solder the fittings and extend lengths of piping if required ... how many btu;s of heat are you looking at ?... if you have a 2lb system you can run smaller line size and install a regulator at the appliance down to 1/2 lb ... this is kinda standard stuff did mine in about 4 afternoons installing the unit heater, venting, power wiring and gas line ... but I own a HVAC contracting company ...my bigest issue was I wanted my shop to heat up quickly so I oversized a tad prior to the gas heat I had electric that was just too long of a heat up time by the time i quit blowing smoke it was time to go in for the night ... good luck

When I looked into this for my upcoming project, I decided to go with propane because of cost and access and permits etc.

But what I did find was the best route was black pipe burried about 2 feet.

Back