Ryobi One+ 18v

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
I picked up a set of older Ryobi One+ tools (blue that originally came with nicads) the other day with no batteries. I have a couple of newer tools (green) with Lithium Ion batteries. The weirdest thing is that when properly seated the batteries don't power the older tools, but when not quite fully inserted they work fine (but drop out if you let go). I thought it might be an issue of corrosion on the inside of the old tools but it looks fine. All else being even these should be interchangeable. Any suggestions.

I own both old and new Ryobi tools and old and new batteries and the only issue I've had is with some of the newer tools is the battery are hard to remove, but they all still work fine.

I have both as well. I'm running them all on the new batteries as the older ones died. It could be the contacts inside the tool need bent out a little to make better contact when the battery is fully seated. It could be fun trying to get down to the contacts to do that though. It would probably require disassembling the tool.

I too am dealing with that stupid Ryobi battery design. After awhile, it is virtually impossible to push the tabs in to release the dumb things. Another thing I've noticed, I have a Ryobi weed eater, hedge clippers and a cordless hand vacuum. My batteries are old and would not charge, but before tossing them, I rotated them into the different style hand vacuum charger cradle. It seems that this charger discharges, then recharges the old batteries, unlike my table top chargers. So now, all the batteries are again charging. I just don't get it.

Figured it out. Had to open the tools up and found corrosion on the inside of them. 20 minutes and a little steel wool and all of the tools work again.

@havasu I've found that with NiCad batteries the trick it to just give them a little bit of juice to get things going (it shakes off the dust so to speak). Either with a powersupply or more easily by rapidly inserting and removing the battery from the charger (it sounds silly, but if I can give them just the tiniest charge after doing that 10-20 times the chargers will recognize them as working and continue to charge them. When they are completely dead after having sat the chargers all read them as defective.

On a seperate note if I need to rebuild NiCad battery its cheaper to buy one of the batteries for the crap harbor freight tools and take the cells out than it is to buy the cells. Usually that means you can rebuild any brand nicad for <$10.

Thanks buddy. BTW, Home Depot had a sale on Ryobi batteries last weekend. I picked up a two pack for $44.

Thanks buddy. BTW, Home Depot had a sale on Ryobi batteries last weekend. I picked up a two pack for $44.

I picked up a 1/2" impact wrench with one of the big batteries and a charger for $50 as part of this deal.

Back