Safest way to cut this wood with table saw

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty neat. Will build one myself. :)

Do you move the sled or the wood piece?

I do not see how that would help ?

The wood would still go between the blade and the guide.
You'd have more room for the push stick and less likely for the push stick to hit the blade

You'd have more room for the push stick and less likely for the push stick to hit the blade
Actually, you don't use a push stick. You slide the whole sled forward. It allows you to keep a hand to each side and out of the blade.

Actually, you don't use a push stick. You slide the whole sled forward. It allows you to keep a hand to each side and out of the blade.
I don't see a sled in the original post. According to the original picture I'd have the thicker piece of wood between the blade and the fence

I don't see a sled in the original post. According to the original picture I'd have the thicker piece of wood between the blade and the fence
Look at post #21

You only have limited time to edit a post. Feel free to click on the report button and let us know what is needed, and we will help you out.

Rusty, a sled is great and a scrap-wood auxiliary fence on the miter gauge will work for a lot of projects. However, both of those are for cross cuts - the original post is for a rip cut which should never be done with a sled or the miter gauge.

While you are talking about rip cuts.

I have no kickback pawls.

For Skil table saw Model 3400, the anti kickback parts are not available.

I use the fence and a push stick.

How can you make a straight edge on wood that has no straight edges to begin with?

First, search youtube for "table saw safety."

If the board is cupped or twisted (i.e. won't lie flat on table saw) the table saw will never fix that problem. To make the edges straight, search youtube for "table saw jointing."

I suggest you subscribe to a couple of woodworking youtube chanels. Two I suggest are:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNrOncgOf5oFGH4lP8jzUtA
and

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCstwpLSByklww1YojZN-KiQ
but there are lots of other good ones. Look around and find some you like.

How can you make a straight edge on wood that has no straight edges to begin with?

I find that running a board through the table saw leaves the cut edge straighter than the opposite edge. So if the "waviness" is not too bad, I run the board through with the straighter edge against the fence, and cut a "better" edge on the opposite side. Then turn the board around and put the "better" edge against the fence, and cut an "even better" edge. Maybe have to turn the board around one more time and put the "even better" edge" against the fence.....

If the edges are bad, you have to make a sled for it, using a known straight board. As shown below.

Attachments

• Straighten stock.jpg
    Straighten stock.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2
Back