Saniflo vs Liberty vs Standard toilet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Long time no post, but have a plumbing question for the group and need some advice.

I have a small storage area behind my basement bar and looking to install a 1/2 bath. The plumbing stack for the house is there and it exits out of the house beneath the concrete floor. It’s located about five feet away from where I would install the toilet. I’ve gotten a quote from a contractor to install a standard toilet down there and he said he would cut the concrete floor, layout the pipe and have his plumber complete the connections.

Because it’s a basement I’m concerned with the possibility of sewage backup and have been looking into the Liberty Assent 2 and Saniflo Saniaccess toilets as another option. I was excited to learn the Liberty product is American made but have seen so disappointing reviews on it. The Saniflo reviews look promising even though the reviews do say the product quality seems cheap.

So, my questions are:

1). Should I be concerned with sewage backup with a basement toilet if the pipe exits under the floor of the basement for the entire house? The house was built in the 80’s so don’t know if the main has a back flow on it prior to it hitting the main in the street.

2). Anyone have experience with either the Saniflo or Liberty systems? Good, bad?

3). For the Saniflo and Liberty systems, do they need to be vented even though they expel via a mechanical pump? My guess is yes but not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance for any information.

i would not install a macerating toilet ( that is what they are called in the trade)in my house. if it is a nice house do not install it . go with your plumber.

I see the question is a couple of months old but would like to comment anyway.
What is felt to be the downside to using the suggested toilets?
How about a backwater valve to provide some protection against the possible (but unknown) chance of backflow?

Back