Scrap Wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I read on another forum, 'There's no such thing as scrap wood, just pieces awaiting a project.'

Here's an example a doorstop turned from a pecan scrap. I may give it a try. It would make a nice gift.

1651452060599.png

Many years ago I turned some candlesticks from walnut limbs (out of wife's uncle's woodpile).

1651452259160.png

I read on another forum, 'There's no such thing as scrap wood, just pieces awaiting a project.'

Here's an example a doorstop turned from a pecan scrap. I may give it a try. It would make a nice gift.

View attachment 27883

Many years ago I turned some candlesticks from walnut limbs (out of wife's uncle's woodpile).

View attachment 27885
Nice. I have always wanted a lathe. Just don't have room for one. I have almost everything else.

I have a wood stove. scrap wood make great kindling .

I made some of these years ago from scrap treated wood to keep flower pots from sitting directly on deck or patio.

0519221515.jpg0519221532.jpg

6-jpg.11753

I picked this up from the lumberjocks forum.

1654626667079.png

My wife used to have me fit small shelves under sink cabinets to utilize lost space near drains. Cut-offs from other projects worked well for that.

I used my largest drywall scraps in closets the smaller ones in the hall linen closet. Turned out pretty well plus was going to get shelves anyway. I used laminate flooring scraps to do the linen closet floor.

A scrap wood holder (in progress) for spare rolls of toilet tissue. Half-lap legs, a section of broomstick will be doweled to the top.

1101221040.jpg1101221040a.jpg

A small stool made in the past from pallet oak also using half-lap legs. Modeled from a stool a friend purchased in Germany.
1667314806164.png

Last edited:
I have made several of these from scrap. Hobby Lobby sells similar ready to finish for $16.99. I have a couple wall mounted under the eave on my utility room deck.

Wood corbels are another use for scrap wood. Search 'architectural salvage' for ideas.1680037003771.png

I should have mentioned, though it probably does without saying, the table I just built was all from dumpster-found wood, except the skirt that was left in my basement by the previous owners.

A good dumpster find project might be a knock-down guitar stand for that new guitar.

1687374850026.png

Last edited:
That is cool, though I currently have one more guitar stand than I need, plus I don't put my guitars on stands at home anyway, I hang them on the wall.
Hanging on the wall is cool, plus readily available. I made a little mandolin hanger and used to keep it on the wall. It made a nice decoration piece as well. I may make one of those stands just to test the build and the utility. I might gift it to someone at the community center weekly gig. I played guitar more when I had a $13.95 Stella lying on the sofa than I did later with nice guitars in their cases.

Hanging on the wall is cool, plus readily available. I made a little mandolin hanger and used to keep it on the wall. It made a nice decoration piece as well. I may make one of those stands just to test the build and the utility. I might gift it to someone at the community center weekly gig.
I hang mine up to save space/avoid kicks and trips, plus having them at eye level encourages me to grab them off the wall and play them more...though I've been pretty good about keeping regular play/practice as a daily habit this year anyway. They would be cool to display but too much of a temptation for the kids, so mine are actually all hanging in out-of-the-way corners in my office and bedroom.

I played guitar more when I had a $13.95 Stella lying on the sofa than I did later with nice guitars in their cases.
Ain't that just the way it goes. I made it somewhat of a point not to own any guitars I was too afraid to take out and risk scratching by playing them.

Back