Screw Gun Design Research

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicascott1

Reaction score
I am a product design student at Arizona State University and I am currently working on a research project for redesigning the Screw Gun. To ensure credibility throughout this project, I was hoping that frequent users of this tool could answer the following list of questions. When answering the questions please be as honest and detailed as possible. I am looking for your great insights to help me improve my design.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1) What uses have you found for a Screw Gun and what do you use it for most often?

2) What brand do you prefer and why? You can also include any details about brands that you will not use anymore and why you avoid them.

3) Do you have any tricks or techniques that simplifies the use of the Screw Gun?

4) Do you have any specific problems or complaints about Screw Guns or how they work?

5) Have you ever made any modifications or thought of modifications to the Screw Gun that would make your job easier?

1) What uses have you found for a Screw Gun and what do you use it for most often?
> I use it to hang drywall and for deck screws

2) What brand do you prefer and why? You can also include any details about brands that you will not use anymore and why you avoid them.
> Milwaukee is the brand I prefer. The cheaper guns don't seem to have enough horse power. The Milwaukee seems heavier but it can take the abuse.

3) Do you have any tricks or techniques that simplifies the use of the Screw Gun?
> We tape the depth adjustment in place so it doesn't rotate out of adjustment.

4) Do you have any specific problems or complaints about Screw Guns or how they work?
> If the screw misses a stud the screw gun will not back it out.
> Some guns have a removeable nose which gets lost.
> The depth gauge doesn't stay locked.

5) Have you ever made any modifications or thought of modifications to the Screw Gun that would make your job easier?
> Years ago there was an attachement for deck screws. The one I used had a Porter/Cable drill motor but I think the attachment was made by someone else. The attachment was 3' long and you simply dropped the screw into a tube at waist height. The screw dropped down the tube and slide in front of the driver bit. The attachment nose held the screw until you were ready to drive it. You didn't have to crawl around all day driving deck screws.

hth, Doug

I think you need to define 'screw gun' to get better options.

Some common things people call screw guns
Bosch Drywall Screwgun
411U-7qm%2BCL._SL210_.jpg

Impact Driver
414B548FN5L._SL210_.jpg

Bosch Pocket Driver
21eFo61a8JL._SL210_.jpg

Makita Hammer Drill/Driver
518NVV777XL._SL210_.jpg

I could give other examples. If you narrow down the category or the purpose for the tool I can definitely provide some opinions. My overall favorite tool ever, for driving screws is the Makita Impact Driver. If I were doing drywall hanging all day I would use something like the Bosch. If i was doing just a few screws now and then I would use the pocket driver. If I wanted something multi-purpose, for drilling and driving screws I would use the Makita Hammer Drill/Driver.

Oh, yes, I own or have used many times every one of the above tools.

Some Drills/drivers compared here
Episode #9 - Drill It!

Back