sealant fir Hardieplank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suobs

SuperMember
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a paintable sealant (by brand name) for the end edges where Hardie lap siding butts against wood? Problem with OSI Quad is it takes 7 days to cure. I need something that will be ready to paint within at most a 5 day lift rental.

Frankly I'm having trouble translating this into what to buy:

• For best results use an Elastomeric Joint Sealant complying with ASTM C920 Grade NS, Class 25 or higher or a Latex Joint Sealant complying with ASTM C834. Caulking/Sealant must be applied in accordance with the caulking/sealant manufacturer’s written instructions or ASTM C1193.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is too late for you but any quality latex-based sealant will be sufficient for this application. The more important component would be the type of paint that is applied over the top, as this would be the primary protection from moisture and UV. DAP ALEX Plus Acrylic Latex caulk with silicone to name one. It's just over $2 a tube. You could buy more expensive sealants, like Vulkem, but it will end up costing you a fortune unnecessarily at $6 a tube. The paint is what keeps the caulk from shrinking/drying/cracking so make sure you use a quality paint.

Last edited:
I've been using Phenoseal for many years with satisfactory results.

Back