Seam separation granite countertop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevbob

Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve got a granite counter where there is moisture getting in to the seam between the contact point of where different slabs were joined.

I’m a little overwhelmed with various products out there and what would be suitable. A clear epoxy or resin? Something that matches color? To be sure, it’s not a crack, it’s just where two surfaces were joined and whatever protection was added when installed by a previous owner is gone.

Thanks for any suggestions- what would you use?

cheers!

I don't really know much about them except I have seen them joining them on TV shows. How long has it been down? Any idea what is causing it?

Sounds like something wasn't right at the time of install. I normally am a DIYer but if the people that installed it are still around I would call them. If there is some movement in the house causing it then it could be an ongoing problem.

Some pros should be along shortly with more advice. :coffee:

Well the install was a few years ago before we had this home. The counter is in place, everything else is fine about it, it is just that I saw some water go into one of the seams and was thinking of what people generally use as an effective sealer for this.

cheers

can you give an estimate of the width of the area you want to seal. Can you slip a piece of paper in the joint?

Sure, actually here's a small portion of it next to a keychain bottle opener. You could stick a thin needle into where the grout is gone.

Do you think a a sealer work by itself here? Or would it require digging out all of it along the joined section (about 3 feet, end to end) and re-grout?

counter.jpg

If you visit a tile store, they will have different color caulks that will repair the seam. Pick one that matches. A clean, dry joint will be needed. Apply painters tape along the joint on both sides, apply the caulk, level it with a wet finger then carefully pull the tape.

@oldognewtrick advice sounds good. I might run a pin down the crack a couple times first in case some of the old wanted to come out easy.

The crack needs to be cleaned out of any loose or dirty caulk. Caulking is just like painting, clean, dull dry.

For what it's worth, before adding a matching color caulk, I would consider blowing compressed air into the gap to clean out any dirt or water. one of those cans for cleaning off keyboards would be perfect. Then I would clean out the space with rubbing alcohol. That stuff will mix with any moisture in there and then it will all evaporate. Wait an hour or two, maybe even a day just to be sure, and then add the caulk. This may be a little overzealous, but it sure beats having to redo it in case there's moisture

Ah yeah, good idea, I've got compressed air cans- also planned to go over it with a blow dryer on low.

Latest posts

Back