Selecting a color of siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applebear

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a color for my new siding and I am having a hard time 'visualizing.' I was looking at either a light brown/khaki, a light blue-gray or a slate blue. All probably with just a plain white trim. Some of my concerns are, I'm not sure what I should take in account when picking a color...the roof? I am reading you should look at neighbors houses and try to fit in, but most around me are white, with the exception of a yellow and green. Though I like white, I am really wanting a little change.

Here is a picture of my house with the new roof, any input?

OP,
The pastels have a tendency to fade due to UV over time. You might want to factor that in as well.

Thanks for replies and link, that was helpful. DF, yeah I was wondering about that because I have seen some houses with fading, though they were lighter colors. I may just keep it safe, and stick to a lighter, somewhat neutral color...was a glacier blue I saw that seemed quite pleasant.

Before you have the siding installed, get some caulk and seal any void that will allow for air intrusion. Corners, windows, door frames, hose bibs, electrical service, any place that will help with stopping wind washing of the exterior. Just my :2cents:

Thanks, I will make sure to talk to contractor about it...all ready have to assure he makes sure the back of the garage gets sealed, been getting water in there for who knows how long. Not sure regular caulk would do the job though, any suggestions to make sure it gets done?

Another thing to think of is ease of repair and how easy it is to replace. Say you have a windstorm rip half of it off at some point, can you get a reasonable replacement product?

Another option is to buy some extra for future repair/replacement, but that is probably a standard thing.

Back