Separating gutter facia board from wall (interior leak)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRSB93

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on whether the gap between the gutter facia and exterior wall could allow moisture intrusion, as we've had a leak on the interior wall. If that is a possibility, my initial thought is to fill the gap with caulk, but I wonder if there may be a more permanent fix. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you! unnamed.jpeg

What is stopping the gutter from contacting the fascia board? Seems a quick hammer job would cinch the gutter to stop water from going under it. Does your roof edge have an overhang?

We specialize in installing half round gutters with that type of gutter bracket. Those are fascia mount brackets that project out from the fascia board 5/8". We usually install a flashing at the roofline to ensure the rainwater flows from the roof into the gutter and not behind it. It's possible that water is flowing behind the gutter and then somehow making it's way into that gap you've circled between the fascia and frieze boards and creating the leak - but I don't think that's likely. The water would have to flow uphill into that gap and leak inside the home somehow. Without more info, it's impossible to say where the leak is coming from (my opinion). A photo of the watermarks inside the home may help us diagnose the problem, but I think you'll need to have someone look at it in-person.

Photo of the flashing we install - it's goes behind the drip edge and extends over the back of the gutter, closing that 5/8" gap:

20200925_115919.jpg

Cheers,
John Briggs
Guttersmiths

Last edited:
From the picture, there seems to be a gap (failed caulking) below the fascia spanning the width of both windows. There also seems to be a crack under the lower flashing (the piece under the fascia) above the right window. Inspect the mortar joint and upper window trim. I would suspect that the lower flashing probably does not extent up to the bottom of the roof edge and moisture is going in between the roof edge and fascia and seeping through mortar gaps hidden beneath.

Back