Setting shed posts into concrete: should I treat seal the posts first?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I will be building a small lean-to shed and want to set the posts holding the roof into concrete. The standard procedure is to dig a hole, set the post, pour concrete to almost fill the hole then add dirt. Question: if I want my posts to last longer, should I seal the bottom part of my (pressure treated) post that comes in contact with conrete and dirt with anything? Either the end grain or the sides? I know that I should put gravel on the bottom of the hole under the post, but if I can add some extra protection by sealing it, I can do it. What sort of sealer would you recommend? TIZ!

Ideally, but I am not going to pour a slab. I'll install the posts and the roof and maybe side walls and some sort of floor later. This space is for keeping my mower and other garden tools so I don't need a floor for this, at least not initially.

Are you talking about pouring concrete only into the holes?

The problem with pouring concrete around your posts is PT wood is very wet when you buy it, as it drys it shrinks. This creates a void between the wood and the concrete that fills with water. You are much better off doing it as Neal suggests. I had to help my neighbor fix his deck posts last year due to this issue. I need to do my own in the near future. The builder put the posts in concrete. Also, the concrete is there to provide a footer to spread the load out. If you put the post in first the concrete isn't really doing anything as the post is resting on the ground.

Latest posts

Back