Share your suggestions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviantartthomas

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum. I'm here to get suggestions from you guys. I have a 15-year-old son. He is a good swimmer and had won many swimming competitions. So I have been planning to build a swimming pool at our house. We plan to build an indoor swimming pool as he can practice all 365 days. But I have heard from my friends that the indoor swimming pools are a little bit expensive than the outdoor.

Is that true? I have contacted a service provider in Toronto. We have arranged a meeting by the end of next week. They have an award-winning team of designers and I hope they can help me with this. Before that, I would like to get suggestions from you guys? Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
In Canada I wouldn't bother with an outdoor pool, your season is too short. For training for competitions you'd want a 25 meter pool, which is pretty good sized pool.

If you're set on building a pool for him to train in, I'd go with something like this and do it indoors.

https://www.endlesspools.com/?utm_s...1171&msclkid=f89e67c9a574131d43343987775d0033

At 15 years old, the concrete would be barely cured on a regular pool before he heads off to college. A pool would be a huge negative in selling your house outside of the sunbelt.

My $.02 worth, I'd skip the pool unless you will use it when he heads off to college and adulthood.

I’ll second the idea of the endless pool. Some of the nice ones have a hot tub built into the end and the water can be kept warmer in that end. My guess is something like that and a suitable addition to your house you will be looking at someplace around $80k.

As mentioned that’s a lot of money for a couple years of training and if you will also get use of it going forward then it wouldn’t be so bad. The other way to look at it is resale and if you are in a upscale market and that additional addition you think would be a plus on resale or not.

I have a hot tub and I know from talking with others they might help in selling a house but people are not willing to pay extra because of it. I had a friend that had a beautiful in ground pool and it deterred the sale of his home for over a year. He filled it in and it sold right away.

A properly built pool room is an expensive addition. With indoor pool you need to be concerned about maintaining a safe atmosphere inside the space. That means sufficient outdoor air to offset the chlorine gas created from the pool chemicals. Maintaining a slightly negative pressure in the pool space so you don’t contaminate the living space with the corrosive chlorine or pool smells. You also need to maintain humidity levels so you don’t develop mold issues. You should have the air temperature 2 degrees cooler than the pool water temperature so if your pool is kept at 84 degrees then your room air would be at 82 degrees. The environmental equipment that you use will get corroded and have a shorter than expected lifespan so plan for maintenance and repairs.

You can reduce some of that by using salt water or some other chemical solutions but you need to be aware that it’s not as simple as building an enclosure over a pool and calling it a day. There will be upkeep costs involved and additional equipment required if you want to do it right. Doing it wrong may cost you more in repairs than the cost of having done it right the first time.

I've always wanted an indoor pool but never had one. Have you considered something like a pool in a lanai? Instead of having full walls maybe have it be more like a greenhouse with windows that can be opened to air out the chlorine. But then, glass might be more expensive. I'm not sure.

Back