Shark Bite and what is normal water pressure?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by falconbrother, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #1

falconbrother

falconbrother

falconbrother

My main water shutoff won't shut off. Everyone I talk too says replace the gate valve with a ball valve. The plumber where I work says use Shark Bite fittings as they are quick and easy. I looked them up and I think this is what I will use.

They also recommend that while I'm at it I go ahead and change out my water pressure valve. The one's I see have a factory setting of 45 PSI. Is this what's normal for residential?

2. Oct 8, 2019 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

First off Sharkbite fittings are a very good and easy to install product and they work very well. Like most things that are fast and good they are also expensive compared to other methods of attachments that take a little more effort.

If you are on city water to change the main valve you will have to have the city shut the water off at the curb then remove the old valve that is most likely threaded on and replace it with a new valve (ball valve). If you have a well you need to power down the pump and bleed off the pressure.

City water depending on where you live can be much higher than the 45PSI you mentioned. You may or may not need a regulator on your main. A check with a gauge will tell you how high it is or you could ask neighbors if they have high pressure and a regulator.

45PSI is a good working pressure but not what I would call super high 60PSI is getting up there and people that have higher will want a regulator so showers for example are not painful, plus real high pressure is harder on seals and hoses etc.

Give us more information.

3. Oct 8, 2019 #3

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Ask the city what the normal range of pressure is, and adjust from there, your pressure regulator every 4 years.

4. Oct 9, 2019 #4

billshack

billshack

billshack

just so you know the canadian plumbing say water pressure not to exceed 75 psi. if you have more then you must install prv.