Sharkbite Fittings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I picked up a Sharkbite quarter turn angle valve yesterday to use as a temporary stop while I do some plumbing rework. Do I need the special tool (or can I improvise) to remove it for reinstallation as I progress through the rework?

The special tool, to release the fitting, is only a few bucks. I wouldn't risk damaging the fitting just to save a few bucks. A leak could cost you thousands.

The special tool, to release the fitting, is only a few bucks. I wouldn't risk damaging the fitting just to save a few bucks. A leak could cost you thousands.
The reason I asked is that there are two types one just a half circle of plastic which I could easily make out of wood or plywood, the other is a metal squeeze grip device with two half circles and costs as much as the fitting.

Edit: When I took the angle stop out of the package to see if the chrome plastic collar would be in the way of a removal tool I found that the collar can be reversed and used as a removal tool. It also serves to hide the tan collar on an exposed angle stop.

Last edited:
They used to add one of the yellow plastic ones to the bag. It doesn't take much to push the ring in to get them apart.

The collar you mentioned will work.

Latest posts

Back