Sharpening stones

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I have a Wasabi knife sharpener but the stones for it are wearing out, as I was warned would happen. Can anyone recommend a set of replacement stones that look like they'd fit?

Here are the stones that came with it, so I'd be looking to replace those:

whetstones_600x600.jpg

Steve123

Reaction score
The obvious answer is the replacement stones that Wasabi sells.

Although you might want to spring for the diamond set. I have a set of diamond stones for sharpening my tools, and love how easily they cut, and don't lose their flat surface.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Thanks for that idea Steve! I wasn't sure if wasabi's stones, even the diamond ones, might actually be rather low quality for the price and wondered if better stones could be found elsewhere.

But I have a friend who bought the diamond ones so maybe I'll see how they work out for him.

jcar932

Reaction score
I lived with the diamond stones for most things until I got workshops (I have both one in my shop and their knife sharpener for the kitchen).

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I just use bench stones. Over the years I have either gotten pretty good with the angles or the knives have adapted to my angles. I also have this combination stone for kitchen knives.
1668614332588.png

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I just touched up the edge of a knife on the bottom rim of a stoneware mug.

ekrig

Reaction score
I believe that there are a bunch of other sharpeners based on the same concept. Work sharp has two and they sell replacement stones. That said, Ruixin is a budget brand so it will probably be cheaper to buy a new set (for $22).

Personally, I just use a cheap (<$20) 1000/3000 Whetstone and a home-made leather strop with Harbor-Freight compound. That's enough for me to get our knives hair-cutting sharp.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Something just occurred to me. I have never had to replace a stone. My best stones are a combination corundum plus a hard Arkansas and leather for the finish.

The knife I use most was made by my wife's uncle. He used to get throwaway blades from a jeans mfg plant, shape the blade point a bit and rivet on handles. They were high carbon steel, took a good edge and were easily sharpened. The downside was that they needed frequent sharpening.

Last edited: