Sharpening stones

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I have a Wasabi knife sharpener but the stones for it are wearing out, as I was warned would happen. Can anyone recommend a set of replacement stones that look like they'd fit?

Here are the stones that came with it, so I'd be looking to replace those:

whetstones_600x600.jpg

The obvious answer is the replacement stones that Wasabi sells.

Although you might want to spring for the diamond set. I have a set of diamond stones for sharpening my tools, and love how easily they cut, and don't lose their flat surface.

Thanks for that idea Steve! I wasn't sure if wasabi's stones, even the diamond ones, might actually be rather low quality for the price and wondered if better stones could be found elsewhere.

But I have a friend who bought the diamond ones so maybe I'll see how they work out for him.

I lived with the diamond stones for most things until I got workshops (I have both one in my shop and their knife sharpener for the kitchen).

I just use bench stones. Over the years I have either gotten pretty good with the angles or the knives have adapted to my angles. I also have this combination stone for kitchen knives.
1668614332588.png

I just touched up the edge of a knife on the bottom rim of a stoneware mug.

I believe that there are a bunch of other sharpeners based on the same concept. Work sharp has two and they sell replacement stones. That said, Ruixin is a budget brand so it will probably be cheaper to buy a new set (for $22).

Personally, I just use a cheap (<$20) 1000/3000 Whetstone and a home-made leather strop with Harbor-Freight compound. That's enough for me to get our knives hair-cutting sharp.

Something just occurred to me. I have never had to replace a stone. My best stones are a combination corundum plus a hard Arkansas and leather for the finish.

The knife I use most was made by my wife's uncle. He used to get throwaway blades from a jeans mfg plant, shape the blade point a bit and rivet on handles. They were high carbon steel, took a good edge and were easily sharpened. The downside was that they needed frequent sharpening.

Last edited:
Back