sheetrock butts upto cbs question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm rocking an interior wall that butts, at a right angle, up to a stuccoed concrete block finished wall.
Normally with rock to rock, I know you would just tape and mud that inside corner but given that it's s/r to stucco is that the best way of finishing the joint?
The new sheetrock will be finished smooth and painted.

Thanks,

I don't think there is any rules for this, You may want to add an extra stud to the wall there so you can keep your nails or screws further away from the joint. Finish the joint with a paintable dap caulk, just like you would with molding. To make the filling nicer, you may want to scribe the cut to get a good fit and then trim the face paper on a bit of and angle so you don't have any furry paper sticking out.

Thanks Neal, I do have studs right up tight to the stucco wall. I'm just not sure how long a mud and tape corner joint would hold and if I could get a good blend into the stucco wall's sand finish.
I don't like the cut rock and caulking alone. I may just add a piece of 1/4 round vertically in that corner and be done with it.
Thanks for your reply,

A second stud there will allow you to have nails and filler away from the corner, try the caulk, you can always put up a wood trim.

Back