Shingling Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechi

Reaction score
We need new shingles on the roof and all the contractors included 3 ft ice and water shield with their estimate but one contractor said 3 feet is not enough and that he would install 6 feet. So my question is does it matter whether it's 3 or 6 feet? The contractor said it's because it's a large overhang.

Also, should we install a drip edge? Only a couple of contractors included it with the estimate, the others would install it only on our request at an extra charge.

One more question, should we wait until spring to get the roof done? (located in southern Ontario Canada)

Yes, install drip edge. Most MFG's want only a 1/2" over hang past the drip edge. Too much overhang can cause the shingles to crack on the edge, allow for wind lift and allow for the rain water to over shoot the gutter.

I believe northern building codes require that Ice and Water Shield be installed 3' past the exterior wall and the roof to be pictured framed with it. Up the rake/hip edges and across the ridge.

Any time the weather is above freezing is a great time to install roofing.

Other than cost is there anything wrong with putting the ice and water shield all the way up the roof. I have seen several DIY roofs done that way the last few years.

Nothing wrong. We put high temp underlayment under all hard surface roofs. Slate, tile, shake, standing seam metal all get it.

Nothing wrong. We put high temp underlayment under all hard surface roofs. Slate, tile, shake, standing seam metal all get it.

Good to know. I have a couple small roofs I need to do and I thought the extra protection couldn’t hurt.

You should also review the installation requirements of the manufacturer for the shingles you're actually going to use. You should be using drip edge on both the rakes and eaves. I agree with the 6' of ice shield. As for now or wait till spring. New shingles tabs seal on each other from the tar on them heating from the sun. If your roof gets a lot of sun and it's not too cold there, you can do it now. If your roof doesn't get a lot of sun and it's cold, the tabs might not seal properly. That makes them more vulnerable to being torn off or damaged from the wind.
Remember, you're putting on a new roof that should last 20 years or more. Do it right. It protects the rest of your house.

Latest posts

Back