Should I frame wall hung fireplace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogar6

Reaction score
This electric fireplace sticks out about an inch from the framing.

What I'm wondering is when I drywall the wall, should I enclose the rear of the FP or leave it open? It's an inside wall.

fp.jpg

We see a cord coming out of the back, you would not build that into a wall, as you called it a wall hung unit did you have instructions for framiing around it. Depending on the heat you may not want wood that close to the top of the unit.

Cord and plug can't be inside a wall.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just drywall around it and mount an outlet nearby.

It generates heat - it pulls in air from the bottom front and blows out from the top but it can also be used for just the visual effect w/o heat.

Have you thought about building a mantel around it? Instead of just framing around it?
That way, you could always vent the top or sides for the heat to enter the room.

My question was regarding framing in the rear of the unit in order to put up drywall, the front is supposed to look like a picture or a wall hanging.

My question was regarding framing in the rear of the unit in order to put up drywall, the front is supposed to look like a picture or a wall hanging.

I think the only problem is the cord. As you will always have the cord there I think I would drill a hole in the drywall that lines up with the cord coming out of the box, then the cord won't be burred in the wall.;)
Joe might have something to say about that.

I'm not sure from the pic; is the back flush with the wall?
You could also plug it in and run it for a while....see if the back gets hot before you decide.

The install instructions will tell you how close to the back you are allowed to frame.

Latest posts

Back