Shower Diverter Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMC_Milwaukee

Avid DIY-er
Reaction score
I'm replacing my old 1950's steel tub with a new 18" deep one. With the deeper tub I need to move the supply side plumbing up about 2". In the picture you can see the 1950's installer decided to connect copper to galvanized in order to make the shower plumbing installation easier. As this is no longer acceptable practice, I was wonder what options do I have to work with the galvanized supply pipes? Are there shower diverter valves made to connect to galvanized? Or should I look for valve I can connect to PEX or CPVC?

What is the best option to go from galvanized to the shower plumbing? And what sort of store would carry the supplies necessary (Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry shower diverter valves)

ShowerPlumbing-annotate.JPG

You need a dielectric union to join the dissimilar pipes so no electrolysis can occur. That will prevent the corrosion you see in the old setup. The galvanized pipe can be attached to the new copper and the extra 2" can be on the copper side.

If you know what you are doing (and have the tools) you could also use PEX piping. However, copper is reasonable and durable.

Here is a briefing on how to install the dielectric coupling:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/connect-copper-galvanized-plumbing-20916.html

You like?? :D

I definitely do not have the tools for PEX. I do have flux+solder and a torch.

This sounds relatively easy:
1. replace the 2 galvanized to copper junctions with dielectric couplings
2. add 2" copper + straight coupling
3. enjoy warm shower (profit)

Am I over simplifying this?

All this stuff is dated and now that you have it open, I would say it is the perfect time to change it all out. I would install a single lever anti-scold with tub spout deverter and I would change out all the pipe for pex at least out of this area, so when it gives up you don't have to destroy the shower again. You can buy fittings to go from galvinized to pex and the tools that you need for pex is a cheap rental. HD will have all of this.

Latest posts

Back