Shower door threshold strip, what kind of adhesive?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBigg

Reaction score
Good Morning all,
I'm in the middle of re-caulking my shower, and in order to get to all of it I had to remove the shower door assembly. At the bottom of the assembly is a metal threshold strip which was fastened to the tray with what appears to be some sort of adhesive. It looks like a thin putty, possibly it was an adhesive backing, on the strip itself. I'm trying to refasten the threshold and need advice on what to use. I was just going to use silicone caulking but I dont think that would hold it well enough. The door passes over this strip every time it opens and closes and people step on it all the time. I bought a tube of LePage 2-in-1 Seal and Bond, but I'm not sure that is the right thing either. Any advice?

I'd think almost any adhesive now is water resistant & doesn't yield much when compressed. You might have to search far & wide for compressive strength data, tho.

If the threshold feels spongy people may get nervous but it's more of a human engineering thing.

You could squeeze out a small circle of silicone, let it cure & then try to squash it.

chances are that it was install with silicone and that will be fine to use for reinstall.

Thanks for the replies. I used the LePages 2-in-1 and it seems to be holding very well. I covered the underside of the strip with it and also did a bead along both edges. The stuff sets very quickly so you have to work fast but it seems to have a good hold. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back