Shower Drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erwabo

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the right forum, but I am guessing it is. I dont do a ton with plumbing, but recently the shower in our basement was giving off a peculiar smell. So I got a little closer and it turns out its coming from the drain. We dont ever use this shower and the smell is not coming from any other drains. I was thinking perhaps some water had evaporated from the trap and letting sewer gas through, but even after running the shower, the smell seems to come back pretty fast. I though maybe a vent pipe was clogged to, but its only coming out this one location. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eric

If the vent is not working properly the smell would not go away at all. A couple cups of water twice a week. This may have been an ongoing problem, sewer gas dosn't alway smell that strong.

So I took the drain cover off and it looks as though there was just years of CRAP plastered to the sides of the drain, so it just needed a REAL good cleaning and some baking soda =) Drainage was great, water level was good. I think that should pretty much solve my issue =)

Well this was a basement bathroom shower that we dont use and probably wont use, so I didnt even thing to really check IN the drain since it was draining, but it was not pleasant when I looked in there :eek:

Back