Shower frame pulling away from wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAndMS

Reaction score
I have a stand up shower that has a hinged shower door. The door has one side hinged and there is a panel on the other side.

The hinged side of the door the frame is pulling away from the wall. The gap right now is about 3/16" at the top. So of course that makes the door hard to open and close. I know that for some reason the screws have come loose. I looked at the frame this morning and I could not find a way to tighten the screws. I would have to remove the shower door to get to the screws, at least that is the way it looks to me. And as it usually goes, I could not find how to remove the shower door.

So if anyone can give me some advice on removing the door so I can get to the screws that would be great. While we are discussing the screws...

I removed the top frame from the shower door this morning to see if there was a way I could get the door out of the way. It looked like they used self tapping screws to hold the frame together, which makes sense. But would they have used self tapping screws to hold the frame to the wall? I know that I have some 1" self tapping screws. I was wondering if I would be better off once I can get the door out of the way, to tighten the existing screws but I would not trust them to not come out again, but also add two or three more screws. I would not really want to replace the screws because it may be the holes that are causing the problem.

Thanks for reading!
Jim

It all depends on how solid the wood is it is attached to. If the screws can be got to and taken out you could try a longer or longer and larger screw in the same location. I would pick new locations and use new screws first drilling and countersinking the frame. If you don't have a countersinking bit you can start with a larger drill and just drill in the point to suit a countersink and then drill thru for the body size of the screw. I would use something like a deck screw as they are treated for rusting.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I understand all of that. The biggest question I have is how to I get to the screws? I don't see any way to remove the door so I can get to the screws in the frame...

Maybe a picture will help. It had to be built somehow so there must be a way to reverse the process.

When the door is wide open there is no access to the screw heads?

Lift the door and pull out at the bottom hinge, lower to release from the top hinge?
Just guessing.

I thought of that also. But it appears to be a piano style hinge, I think it is called... It is one hinge that runs all the way from bottom to top.

You obviously have a top support rail. If you remove this rail, I believe all your questions would be answered.

Back