shower pan/drain issues...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasSc

Reaction score
I hired a contractor to remodel our master bath room last fall. I recently noticed an odor coming from the closet adjacent to the shower stall. Inspection found the "plastic" shower pan holding water. I removed some sheet rock from the closet to confirm this. Water is standing in the liner and weeping out around the mortar between the shower floor and shower wall. The liner is not leaking externally, but the water in the liner is failing to drain. I am thinking that when the installer installed the mortar base on top of the liner, the weep holes were clogged at the drain. Has anyone had any positive experience repairing this by removing a portion of the shower tile and base around the drain, repairing /opening the drain holes and re-tiling the base? Or do I need to re-do the entire pan?

Welcome to the site. You might be able to remove some and repair but if you damage the pan you would be in for a bigger job. But I guess that is the choise anyway. Why not start with a real good sealer for the grout and see if you can keep the water out of the pan.

I considered that but I need to get the pan drained before I re-caulk and seal. The pan is holding too much water now to just seal as is. I think I will need to use a flexible caulk around the joint at the wall and shower floor tile when the pan is drained.

I would not touch that shower. That pan was installed incorrectly and fault is 100% with the contractor. You touch this, and he will blame you for the failure. This is a complete tear out IMHO.

havasu - I understand fully your advice. However, this contractor will never set foot in my home again - so this is not an issue. If he couldn't do it right the first time I will not set myself up for a second failure. JMHO. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back