Siding leaves decking/subflooring exposed. How to cover?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be a bad idea for him to paint the exposed wood with exterior paint as well?

Also, thanks for the info on the PT corroding aluminum flashing. I did not know that. That affects a few projects I have on my list.

Thank you for the link to the vinyl flashing!

Good luck with your repairs!

Would it be a bad idea for him to paint the exposed wood with exterior paint as well?

Also, thanks for the info on the PT corroding aluminum flashing. I did not know that. That affects a few projects I have on my list.

Thank you for the link to the vinyl flashing!

Good luck with your repairs!

Galvanized steel or vinyl will work.

I have seen a piece of new pressure wood just sitting on a galvanized jet ski trailer eat right through the metal to the point there was none left at the top of a piece of channel iron.

I have seen a piece of new pressure wood just sitting on a galvanized jet ski trailer eat right through the metal to the point there was none left at the top of a piece of channel iron.

You are confusing aluminum with galvanized.

Aluminum is what gets eaten.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkzQcQ_TGWA[/ame]

https://www.strongtie.com/products/...rrosion-information/pressure-treated-wood-faq

What metals and protective coatings does the Treated Wood Industry recommend for use with these products?
Hot-dip galvanized or stainless steel fasteners, anchors and hardware are recommended by the Preservative Treated Wood Industry for use with treated wood. This has been the position of this industry for years and their position has not changed with the transition to the alternative copper-based products. In the past this industry did not address the required levels of galvanizing, however most of those in the industry now provide information regarding the minimum level of galvanizing that should be used.

The thicker the galvanized coating the longer the expected service life of the fastener, connector, anchor, or other hardware will be.

Electroplated/electro galvanized and mechanically galvanized coatings should not be considered to be hot-dip galvanized. (Class 55, or higher, mechanical galvanizing provides galvanizing equivalent to the hot-dip galvanizing used on connectors and fasteners. Ref. ASTM B695 for additional information.)

It is also worth noting that the galvanized coating thickness varies depending on the galvanizing process used. Remember, the thicker the galvanized coating, the longer the expected service life of the steel will be.

Refer to the different chemical manufacturers and/or treaters as well for their recommendations. A list of trade names is included at the bottom of this page.

Back