Siding on partial rock home question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa George

Reaction score
I'm preparing to replace my current very worn siding with Lp SmartSide panels. As you can see in the picture, the mortar below the trim boards is cracked and even loose in some places. My question is: should I chip it all away and redo it altogether? should I just fill the cracks? Is there a better solution and something more sightly? I assume it was done this way for drainage but I'm thinking there's a better solution.

Attachments

• sdng.jpg
    sdng.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
If it was mine I'd be bending some aluminum coil stock and covering that whole area before adding the new siding.

Thanks for the response! I'll admit I had to Google aluminum coil stock because I didn't know what that was. Could you expand on what you mean by covering the whole area?

Picture a piece of it bent sort of in this shape, just to get a basic idea of what I'm suggesting.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Z-Bar-1-25-in-x-42-in-x-1-31-in-Aluminum-Z-Flashing/50019740If I was bending it I would not bend a 90 deg. angle where the stone and the wall meet, make it slightly less so the metal will sit at a slight slope for run off.
I'd snap a chalk line on the wall to mark where my metal will sit against the wall.
Where that area is that bends to cover up the outside edge I would do what's called a heam, simply means you bend the metal back over it's self to make it stronger and not wave when it gets hot.
Coil stock comes in many colors, in you case I'd be using black, it often comes black one one side, white on the other.
Once done the black will be less noticeable.
Any siding contractor could do this for you, or most HD's rents a brake, and you would just need to buy a pair of straight tin snips.
One last tip, measure along that whole wall before bending, there's likely to be one area that sticks out a little more, that's the measurement you want to use for all of your bends.

Ok, so sort of like flashing. Are you suggesting I remove that sloped mortar that sits a top The Rock? Or just put the aluminum over it?

Back