Siding pros, is this gap/hole normal? Caulk it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Check out the pics below, I had some leaky windows due to crappy install jobs when house was built in 2001. Some windows have this hole and one already leaked in this area. Thinking about globbing in some caulk. Are these holes in bottom corners normally there and if so, this large? The first 3 pics are the upstairs window that leaks and the other pics are of another window. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_0933.PNG
    IMG_0933.PNG
    346 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0934.PNG
    IMG_0934.PNG
    305.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0935.PNG
    IMG_0935.PNG
    158.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0936.PNG
    IMG_0936.PNG
    217 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0937.PNG
    IMG_0937.PNG
    102.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0938.PNG
    IMG_0938.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 10
The window channels should be cut to overlap in the corners so water drains. As in, bottom channel installed first, side channel installed next to overlap bottom channel, then top channel to overlap sides. Same idea as shingles. There should be more layers of protection sealing the window before the siding is even installed. Seeing outside light from the inside, (in one of your photos) that doesn't look like it was done properly either. I'd be tempted to remove the window, replace any rotted framing and then reinstall the proper way. I tend to over build, that's just me, but at least you'd know you've fixed the problem if you start from the frame. I would always wonder, how long has it been leaking? How much damage is there behind the siding?

The window channels should be cut to overlap in the corners so water drains. As in, bottom channel installed first, side channel installed next to overlap bottom channel, then top channel to overlap sides. Same idea as shingles. There should be more layers of protection sealing the window before the siding is even installed. Seeing outside light from the inside, (in one of your photos) that doesn't look like it was done properly either. I'd be tempted to remove the window, replace any rotted framing and then reinstall the proper way. I tend to over build, that's just me, but at least you'd know you've fixed the problem if you start from the frame. I would always wonder, how long has it been leaking? How much damage is there behind the siding?
Good question! I don't even wanna know to tell u the truth. Just got the place last January you'd think my home inspector would of caught this crap!

Holes in and around vinyl siding should not matter all water proofing should be done with house wrap and tape behind it.
The problems you are having is that the newest way to install windows was not in place in 2001.
This didn't start until 2006 and you can see the difference. Your windows in the vinyl should be redone.
Now they have added a board behind the window so the peel and stick wraps up on the inside 3/4"

Thanks for the video. Sad part is that I've already had 3 window guys come and check everything out and every single one of them lacks the attention to detail to inform me, the customer, of potential issues like this they have one mission, to sell me windows and leave with a down payment check! Sad sad world

Thanks for the video. Sad part is that I've already had 3 window guys come and check everything out and every single one of them lacks the attention to detail to inform me, the customer, of potential issues like this they have one mission, to sell me windows and leave with a down payment check! Sad sad world
Most window replacement companies don't need inspections so either they don't know or don't care, this is where the home owner has to set the rules on how it is done and stands guard during the process. Most of them don't know how to open vinyl siding to work on a window. You have wood windows so the start there is a a pieces of taper siding on the rough sill so water runs to the outside. When you do the brick instead of flexible you need a metal one, made on the slope so it can go in down between the brick and the house wrap and then 2 corner shows to match.

Latest posts

Back