Siding too low

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anna1234

Reaction score
I have a negative slope toward my foundation and need to pack in dirt to grade it, but my siding is barely even an inch from the ground. Any ideas how I am supposed to correct the negative slope with such low siding? Thanks

Attachments

• 20220404_134837[1646].jpg
    20220404_134837[1646].jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220404_134840[1647].jpg
    20220404_134840[1647].jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 5
How high does the foundation go above the bottom edge of the siding? Is that wood T-111 or Hardi? I'd definitely want the ground further above the ground. I'd probably look to lower the soil level for several feet away from the house so that it is 6" below the siding. If the siding is overlapping the foundation you might bet able to cut off the bottom few inches and maybe install a Azek (cellular PVC) trim board.

How high does the foundation go above the bottom edge of the siding? Is that wood T-111 or Hardi? I'd definitely want the ground further above the ground. I'd probably look to lower the soil level for several feet away from the house so that it is 6" below the siding. If the siding is overlapping the foundation you might bet able to cut off the bottom few inches and maybe install a Azek (cellular PVC) trim board.

It seems like it is basically compressed cardboard. I'm not sure if it is technically hardi board. I doubt it though as the house is from '77. I'm not sure how much the siding overlaps the foundation, but I was thinking trimming the siding back might be effective. It is difficult to lower the soil around the foundation because the rest of the yard already slopes so far down toward the house. I'd hate to have it slope more without correcting it. Would lowering it a little bit and installing a french drain be a viable option?

If it was built in 1977 and it is original siding it is most likely not Hardi-Panel. I don't think that was widely available in the USA until the 1990s. My house built in 1998 has Hardi-Plank. Some of the older homes in my neighborhood have Masonite.

This might work for getting your siding up higher. Cut off the lower 6" of the siding, install Z flashing under the siding and above a piece of 6" x 1" Azek trim.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...-of-flashing-around-the-perimeter-of-my-house

If it was built in 1977 and it is original siding it is most likely not Hardi-Panel. I don't think that was widely available in the USA until the 1990s. My house built in 1998 has Hardi-Plank. Some of the older homes in my neighborhood have Masonite.

This might work for getting your siding up higher. Cut off the lower 6" of the siding, install Z flashing under the siding and above a piece of 6" x 1" Azek trim.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...-of-flashing-around-the-perimeter-of-my-house
That sounds like a great solution. Thank you!

Back