Single Pole Switch on 3-way Circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. I can always be surprised. :)

I received a single pole motion sensor switch that I planned to put in my laundry area. I decided against it because I'm pretty sure the switch is so close to the door that it will trigger walking by the room. I would like to put it in the garage, however, but the garage light is 3-way. What happens if you put a single pole on a 3-way? Does anything work? If "it will work, but..." will I care since it's a motion switch and I don't have to walk across the room to turn it on or off?

How blonde am I today? =:)

There switches for that, likely not the one you have. You could do away with one switch and replace the other with the sensor.

Wire it in where the light is and then connect the light to it now your two switches will ether allow the motion switch to work or not work. You will just be turning the motion switch on and off is all. At least that’s how I see it.

Back