sink doesnt drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erndog

Reaction score
Hi I found an old country sink and thought it would be a nice addition to the new kitchen I am creating(pics in profile). Long story shortened. I turned on the faucet for the first time only to find that it doesnt drain properly. ARGGGGGH!!! The center drain hole is a high spot and about a 1/8 th inch of water pools all around the sides of the sink.
The sink is made out of ceratherm(ceramic with glazing). I was considering putting down a layer of polyurethane to at least level the basin. Any suggestions???

You could try to re-glaze the sink. There are kits and companies who do this sort of thing. The other stuff you try will not stick, and become stained and dirty looking.
Sounds like the sink got damaged or was a bad cast. Is it totally ceramic or is there some steel or cast iron? Give it a rap and see if it is tinny sounding.
If it is steel try to give it a push down at the drain, if it breaks the coating you can always get it refinished.
Good luck.:)

The sink is ceramic through out the whole body. There are vent holes under the drain board side and i can see the entire cast is ceramic. I don't see how reglazing would solve the issue. I would need to at least level the bottom of the basin. I would hate to loose the original glazing it has. I was also considering grinding grooves radiating out from the drain to assist water flow. I am curious if there is a epoxy that would adhere to the raw ceramic?

Hello Erndog:
The sink appears to be made of some pretty heavy material. I think the radiating grooves is the best idea; giving full drainage without damage to the sink.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back