Sizing windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked already, I did at least scroll down the first page as due diligence!

We need to buy new screens for our windows (all but a few currently have none, so if you open the window then it's just open to the birds and bugs) which means I need to measure the size of the windows. What is the appropriate place to measure from/to in each direction?

A photo of a window, with a screen, installed and removed will give us both insite.

Interior view of a window with screen:
0510211721-00.jpg0510211721-01.jpg

Exterior view of a window with screen:
0510211924-00.jpg0510211924-01.jpg0510211924-02.jpg

Exterior view of a window without screen: (you can see the slot where the screen is supposed to go)
0510211926-00.jpg0510211926-01.jpg0510211926-02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, what I was looking for, was the method by which the screens are held in place, and that wasn't revealed.

Are there spring clips, either on the top of the screen or in the
top channel?

So, the screen frame material needs to be measured, width and thick ness, and the material locally located.

Since it appears that the screens are simply inserted in to the full width opening, measure that and compare with the screen dimensions.

Since it appears that the screens are simply inserted in to the full width opening, measure that and compare with the screen dimensions.
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if the replacement screens conventionally use this same sort of measurement but I guess whatever they're packaged in will state the actual dimensions.

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if the replacement screens conventionally use this same sort of measurement but I guess whatever they're packaged in will state the actual dimensions.

To me, this indicates that you know of the window mfg., and if so, just order the screens for the window configuration.

@Snoonyb: I don't actually, but from this very forum I've learned that I should look in one of the upper corners to find out!

Those type screens usually have a flat spring on one of the sides that you insert into the slot and compress so as to get the other side into it's slot. This is not just a plain screen. Find the window maker and order e correct screens from them. The mfg. label may be on the upper window jamb behind the upper sash. If you take out one of the existing screens you will see what I am describing.

I'd check if the screens that you do have fit on the windows for which you want to order them. The windows in a house typically have standard dimensions, and that are shared among windows. If the screen fits, then you can just measure the screen directly. Still a good idea to check with the manufacturer if that's what they want.

As an aside, I once checked how much those would cost for some of my windows and was quoted something like $200+ per screen, which I found outrageous. The thing is that most home-goods stores carry all of the parts and materials to make them yourself for probably around $20 per screen. In my case I had the frames, and it was super easy to replace the mesh part for ~$5/screen.

Latest posts

Back