Slab foundation offset in garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmeatryan

Reaction score
Might purchase this home but noticed the concrete slab foundation was offset during walkthrough. Home inspector said not to worry as no other signs of foundation problems were noted. But want another set of eyes. F7024A8B-2981-43C3-93BE-AA752BD0EBAC.jpegShould I be worried about this offset in the concrete slab foundation in the garage?

If you asking about the break in the picture, and there is no noticeable corresponding offset on the other side of the wall, then the inspector is probably right, however, if the floor on the other side has a hard surface product, taping with a coin will reveal hollow spots, which then can be questioned, and/or further investigated.

If you mean by offset that the sheet rock is not even with the inside wall it's a none issue.
It's very common to see 6" wide block and just 2 X 4 walls.
I'd be far more concerned with why that sheet rock is in that condition.

Joe, seldom do you see CMU as a foundation for a slab in CA, most are monolithic, house and garage, same pour.

How old is the house?
The foundation offset appears to be only horizontal - no vertical component. Also, although it might not be visible in the photo, I don't see any evidence that the original slab was patched or replaced. Check that more closely. If this slab was poured against the foundation, and there have been no repairs and there is no gap between slab and foundation, that means the foundation offset occurred before the slab was poured (Geology 101). I have no idea what could have caused the offset (maybe a cold joint with damage to the forms between pours?) but the house has been around for a reasonable numer of years, and if there is no other evidence of distress, it seems unlikely to be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The house was built in 1975. There is no vertical component to the offset.

Latest posts

Back