Slab foundation with void under jet tub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

para58d

Reaction score
Apologize up front if there is a historical thread related... new here and haven't navigated through all post here. Please direct to the appropriate thread if so...

I have a 4yr old home in Alabama with a slab foundation. We recently have identified (and in the process of treating) termite infestation, which appears to have originated in our MBR tiled shower/jet tub area. Upon small demo event to identify and access floor level spaces, I have noticed that there is a rough cut chiseled hole directly under the drain piping from the tub. Exposed dirt, approx: 12" dia. all other surrounding surface is slab. Appears to be an after thought to allow space for the drain pipe, without elevating the tub framing.
There is a significant termite travel tubes coming up from this area (and travel to the walls of the shower).

The point of my request for information, is if this "hole" was a standard procedure and if not... it may be some ammo to build up a case to assist in termite damage repair blame lines.

These are often left open up here but I understand that where there are termites like yours, it should have been filled with concrete.

Back