Smart home HVAC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
With the technological advances in smart home systems, I was thinking if it could be combined with newer HVAC systems to better heat and cool the home.

For starters, this would work better with a unloadable A/C and a multi burner furnace. Then you could have a little on or a lot as demand is required.

Then, room temperature sensors in every room. This way then, the main unit gets a good reading.

Instead of zones, each room's vent has a motor that can open and close it as demand in that room exists.

So, how would this work?
When a few rooms deviate from the set point, the HVAC comes on at the lowest amount and ramps up as required. As the room gets to set point, the vents close. Once a certain number of rooms are closed off, the HVAC shuts down.

I am thinking things will cycle more, but provide a better temperature control.

What is an unloadable AC system? If I recall correctly you're in a fairly cold climate. How large is the house? Based on your other posts you have a basement.

What is an unloadable AC system? If I recall correctly you're in a fairly cold climate. How large is the house? Based on your other posts you have a basement.
An unloadable AC unit is one that is not just on or off, but can run at a varying degree of flow of refrigerant, typically indicated by percentage.

Latest posts

Back