Smell around old septic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smell is strongest on this side of the house. After it rains you can smell coming in the windows.
What do you think maybe it was the neighbors septic? You can see the spot on the grass about 3 feet infront of the shack. That house has very little renovations, only the metal roof, that is filled with birds. How can sewage end up on the side of the house, maybe drained their i guess. Maybe he just didn't ever get a pump out?

old septic shack.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know.. Could be many reasons for the sewage to have backed up or gotten spilled somehow.

I know a guy who bragged that he didn't even hook soil pipes to the city sewage lines for his rental properties. He said he just set up a pipe and a little ditch to make it run directly to the street.

If it seems like there is new sewage still coming out and building up there, you might want to contact Dept of Health or some sort of sewage company and have them look in to it to see if there is a sewer leak or other issue causing the problem. It could become a serious health hazard otherwise.

Why? gas smells a certain way. It is definitely in the soil and when it rains you can smell it for sure.
Digging to day, i notice it was worse around the tank. I put all the bad soil around the yard. A lot of small flies showed up. I filled in the tank and the water started to leak out. I grabbed a handfull of the muck and took a good sniff and little taste, nothing. It's probably still leaking out, perhaps to the drain field.

I've made some batches of water with septic enzymes and spread it around the areas still left. I would say it's working!

Latest posts

Back