Smoothing out a CMU wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
We have an exposed CMU wall in our laundry room that we already decided not to frame out. But we're wondering what we could use to make the wall smooth for painting. A cement product or drywall mud or something else?

Nope, just want to paint it. if it could be smoother - like a plaster coat - bonus points. If not, then we will live with it as we have for so long.

When we used to prep CMU wall in schools for painting, we would rub then with a 2x4 block to remove all the burrs, and those that were needed to be "slick" got a skim coat of hardwall.But you could use drywall compound.

Hardwall sounds like a good answer but may be overkill (and a little hard to find ) in this situation. Since I'm not hearing any horror stories about using drywall compound, I think that might be the right stuff. Neal, that pic is awesome, and the wife loved it:hide:. We were both wondering how it was done, but not going to attempt it.

Hardwall sounds like a good answer but may be overkill (and a little hard to find ) in this situation. Since I'm not hearing any horror stories about using drywall compound, I think that might be the right stuff. Neal, that pic is awesome, and the wife loved it:hide:. We were both wondering how it was done, but not going to attempt it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcn7aap4LE[/ame]

I never heard them called CMU as well.

Don’t know about drywall compound but if you want smooth plan on a lot of sanding and dust. The high points will not sand down so it will all have to be built out to the high point. If you want texture that might be easier to do.

CMU is a building standard terminology adopted as a generalization since before I started.

Hard wall is gypsum putty coat and is available in both standard and quick drying products, or plasterers will use an accelerator when the humidity will effect the drying time.

PERLITE is also added for heavy builds or area patching, and then followed with just a putty coat to finish.

Back