Snap In, No Caulk Shower Drain Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
If you don't want to read the story, scroll down to "Repair Question." I like telling my stories. :).

The master shower drain leaks and stinks. I know it leaks, and probably has for a long time, because there is rust, etc., outside at the floor level where the drain would be. It stinks because of whatever is down there. Every time I used it, it smelled like sewage for days. I moved into the second bath to let the master dry out entirely (two months) and I opened it. I'll spare you the horrors found inside, but I fled back to the second bath.

The thing is, even though dry, having disturbed the hairy monster, the sewage smell returned. It may not be a vent and rot issue as initially thought.

Today, I screwed up some courage, put on some exam gloves I stole from work, and grabbed my surgical angle clamps (that I did not steal, and altered to not lock the clamp). I gingerly pick up the rubber gasket and dropped it in hot water with bleach. Whatever shot the spores of stink would not do it again. The 20 years of hair and soap collection scrubbed away, I poured the solution over the drain so it could be santitized, too. Now I can see what I'm working with.

Repair Question

As you can see in the picture, I have the drain, a gasket that fits over the pipe, and the strainer that snaps in to direct the flow all down the drain. Supposedly all without glue or caulk. But the black ring on the drain hole is lifted on one side, and it looks like it used to have something sealing it with the strainer.

What should I use to secure that ring (it just sits on top, there it nothing over the edge of the fiberglass), and what, if anything, to seal the strainer? I imagine a rope of putty for the strainer might cover it all, but I thought I'd check with the experts.

SC

image.jpg

It looks like the may be a name and number on some parts there, try reading them and posting what you find.

I meant to include that. It's AB&A, L B 79, ABS-1 2000mm

Couldn't find any info at their site but I did find this.
Don't see the product you need? Call Customer Service at 800-888-8312.

Yeah, I got that far. Parts from 20 years ago aren't in the flow chart. They apparently have only the same info I could find. Their job is to look up and sell known published parts, not actually know anything. :/

And I think the hairy beast grew because someone else had taken it apart and put it back together wrong. The drain hole also is not centered over the pipe, which makes it also look "wrong." I'm just going to forge ahead with what seemed to be common sense. If I make it worse than before, I'll do it again. I fixed the crack in the fiberglass. That's a start.

Yeah, I got that far. Parts from 20 years ago aren't in the flow chart. They apparently have only the same info I could find. Their job is to look up and sell known published parts, not actually know anything. :/

And I think the hairy beast grew because someone else had taken it apart and put it back together wrong. The drain hole also is not centered over the pipe, which makes it also look "wrong." I'm just going to forge ahead with what seemed to be common sense. If I make it worse than before, I'll do it again. I fixed the crack in the fiberglass. That's a start.

I did find this
Replacement Shower Drain Strainers
About 2/3 the page down here
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/showerdrains.html
Messurenments.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/drain-kit-replacement-strainer-1205-dims.jpg

you need to get concrete under that fiberglass or it will crack again.

all fiberglass unit have to be set in crete, or the floor will flex, crack, and drain will leak.

to "FIX"

you need to open the wall on one side. perferably not the side with the plumbing pipes

buy a sack of quickrete.. and a sheet of tar paper

place tar paper {roof felt] on the floor under shower

mix crete to runny consistance

pour it under the unit. using the wall, plate as your form.

get it under there...THEN...as it sets up..PUSH the concrete up and around the bottom of the tub/shower
and stop it from settling , and pulling away from the fiberglass

this is not going to be fun or easy.

to plug any big holes in the sub floor, expand foam

2015-12-30_0616 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back