Quantcast

So, I bought a house....

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I just moved from a house with a septic tank. I am a firm believer in Rid X and used it religiously. In 11 years, we never had a problem with the tank.
I moved to a house with a septic 6 years ago, never before saw one. The septic company said NEVER put any additives in, especially not Rid X.

billshack

Reaction score
I have a high tech septic system , with agitator's and aerators. the manual says to not use any of the stuff. Tank works very good never had a problem .
I just had it pumped out, It was something to be seen .

zannej

Reaction score
Once every two years seems like a lot to me, but then, mine is supposed to be pumped every 5 to 7 years. We need to get it drained soon. I will say that you should watch the person doing the job & make sure they get all the solids out. The old septic service guy here died & the only one in the area uses a smaller hose for draining & doesn't take the solids. He actually got fined by the health department for not fully draining tanks. The last time he was out I stood by & watched & told him to get all of the solids & pointed out ones he missed.
We have used RidX but I don't know if it's done anything to the system or not.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
When I was a kid and a new septic tank put in it was common to toss a road kill in to get it going.

It really depends on the size of the tank and how many people live in the house and how good the system works at breaking it down. Then factor in all new ones the laundry empties into the tank and people use all kinds of stuff in the washing machine that's not great for a healthy tank. In the old days the kitchen sink and the laundry went to a smaller tank called a grease trap and then to the leach field bypassing the septic. the grease trap would have the exit pipe draw water out of the center of the tank by a drop pipe. The idea was some floats and some sinks.

I know people that haven't had a tank pumped in 40 years. I had mine pumped every 2-3 years.

zannej

Reaction score
My house actually had a grease trap for the sink & washing machine when we first moved in. I believe it got filled in a few decades ago though. The laundry detergent is something I worry about with my septic tank.