So, I bought a house....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am a current homeowner. Soon, I will be moving to our forever home. From a Semi detached on a corner lot to a bungalow on a lake.

I will need to learn more about lake water systems, septic systems, dock building, and other fun stuff.

She seems to want the same things I want.
Great that you're in sync then!
Another thing to discuss are realistic expectations in terms of timeline. My wife and I moved into our house 2 years ago, previously a bank foreclosure empty for several years, and there is still plenty to fix/improve. We don't have family or handy friends around, so its all on me. And, if you're like me, you have a busy full time job and need to learn as you go along, then repairs go slowly. If she's ok with that, fine; otherwise, she can help or discuss contracting it out. Either way, discuss and make sure you understand each other, otherwise it is going to be a major point of tension.

Great that you're in sync then!
Another thing to discuss are realistic expectations in terms of timeline. My wife and I moved into our house 2 years ago, previously a bank foreclosure empty for several years, and there is still plenty to fix/improve. We don't have family or handy friends around, so its all on me. And, if you're like me, you have a busy full time job and need to learn as you go along, then repairs go slowly. If she's ok with that, fine; otherwise, she can help or discuss contracting it out. Either way, discuss and make sure you understand each other, otherwise it is going to be a major point of tension.

What we want done ASAP are the same. The rest of the stuff, she doesn't even understand it. Luckily , her family can help with some of the other stuff.

My wife and I recently (Aug 1st) moved from the West coast To a Lake in a Southern State.
I will need to learn more about lake water systems, septic systems, dock building, and other fun stuff.

one major difference is the humidity is much greater here than we are used to. Also, Where we now live, any additions or changes to the boat dock or boat house have to be approved by the Tennessee Valley Authority. I’ve been told that they are easy to work with though. The septic seems to work pretty good.

Congratulations!
How much land do you have?
For septic system, you will need to have your leech lines at least 50ft away from the property line within your property. You will have to get a permit & they can give you more information. A percolation test will have to be done on the soil if there is not an existing septic system in place.

Hopefully you can find all the info you need here, but there are sister forums like the plumbingforum.com and flooringforum.com for specific information. If you don't get an answer here you can try posts for plumbing and flooring related stuff there. I do miss the garage forum but it was merged with this forum I think.

Good luck and please feel free to post pictures! (I love pictures)

Congratulations!
How much land do you have?
For septic system, you will need to have your leech lines at least 50ft away from the property line within your property. You will have to get a permit & they can give you more information. A percolation test will have to be done on the soil if there is not an existing septic system in place.

Hopefully you can find all the info you need here, but there are sister forums like the plumbingforum.com and flooringforum.com for specific information. If you don't get an answer here you can try posts for plumbing and flooring related stuff there. I do miss the garage forum but it was merged with this forum I think.

Good luck and please feel free to post pictures! (I love pictures)

The propperty has an existing system in place.

Ah, so you need to find out when the tank was last drained, how often it needs to be drained and the condition of the leech field.

I just moved from a house with a septic tank. I am a firm believer in Rid X and used it religiously. In 11 years, we never had a problem with the tank.

Latest posts

Back