Solar light batteries

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
I have a battery charger that we use to recharge the batteries for our cameras, TV remote, etc. We have several outdoor solar lights; they all have size AA batteries. A couple of them no longer work (I presume that the batteries are are either bad or discharged). My question is this: Can I recharge my solar batteries in the charger that I use for standard rechargeable batteries? Are the "solar" batteries different from other rechargeable batteries? If my charger IS too powerful for these batteries, is there a way to bring them back up to full charge? Some of these lights are located where they just don't get enough daily sunlight to stay charged. Thanks for the help!

It depends on what you have for a charger.
Solar lights typically have nickel-cadmium (NI-Cad) batteries. If your charger is for Ni-Cads then you can charge the solar batteries in it. Some of newer home rechargeable are not Ni-Cads but Nickel-Metal halide (NiMh). You can not charge the Ni-Cads in it unless it has a switch to change the charge mode.

Latest posts

Back