Solar power to shed -- looking for solar kit recommendations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a detached 14x10 shed without power. Eventually I will pull power to it from the house but for now I want to experiment with solar. Not looking to run heavy tools off of it, just a light and maybe a fan for better ventilation and prevention of mold.

Question: how do I pick a solar kit? For example, I found this on Amazon for $157.34 (plus the combo with a battery and an inverter for $422.30). How do I figure out if this is what I need? TIA!

You can run a 12 volt light and fan, no need for an inverter.
Unless you want to run a little tv or radio, but you could get those in 12 volts also.

You can run a 12 volt light and fan, no need for an inverter.
Unless you want to run a little tv or radio, but you could get those in 12 volts also.

I don't know how much energy this panel would generate but if I could also charge a couple of batteries that would be a nice bonus.

With LED battery powered lights I would forget solar and hang a battery lantern from the rafters for when I wanted a little light. You can buy batteries for the rest of your life for what you will spend on solar. Batteries running LED lights last a long time. The other advantage of the lantern is I keep mine in the house and use it at night walking out to the shed in the dark and then when I get in there I just hang it on the hook.

As to ventilation if your shed is not heated or cooled and designed properly it will self vent with some screened over vents put in. Screened to keep bugs out.

I do understand it is fun to play with solar power though.:thumb::coffee:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cam...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

With LED battery powered lights I would forget solar and hang a battery lantern from the rafters for when I wanted a little light. You can buy batteries for the rest of your life for what you will spend on solar. Batteries running LED lights last a long time. The other advantage of the lantern is I keep mine in the house and use it at night walking out to the shed in the dark and then when I get in there I just hang it on the hook.

As to ventilation if your shed is not heated or cooled and designed properly it will self vent with some screened over vents put in. Screened to keep bugs out.

I do want to install a fan. I have vents installed on opposite walls of the shed, similar to how attic fan vents are installed. It seems to be helping but I did find mold on a piece of wood I was storing there. If I can run the fan at close to continuously as possible that would help I think. I don't want to keep changing batteries for the fan.

So if I can also piggy-back on this with a light, and get energy from the panel for both, I think it will suffice.

I agree that those kits are kinda expensive though

Don't overthink it!! A battery powered lamp for light and a solar powered ventilator for the roof. DONE!

Back