soldering near wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
hello all, I'm replacing the shower but the pipes are about 1/2 inch from the drywall. I have two questions, how to cut the pipes and how to solder without burning the wall down. thanks

Pick up a plumbers heat mat to put against the wall and you can also get a mini pipe cutter for tight spaces.

In the field, you have to be craetive and adaptive ... Here are a few ideas:

1. Can you use a SharkBite fitting which would eliminate soldering at that point?

2. If not, use a squirt bottle to saturate the wood before torching the copper.

3. I keep a leftover metal shield recycled from a water heater which protects the woods while I solder. (See picture) Works like a charm. Just wedge it where it needs to be.

Heater.jpg

As far as cutting, as neal stated, get yourself a mini-pipe cutter... Now, as for sweating the joint, this is probably the point where the pro's on here are gonna beat me with a stick... lol But, when I replumbed my shower, I took an old license plate, and a piece of fiberglass insulation, pulled the paper backing off it (leaving nothing but the fiberglass itself) and doubled it over, placed it against the wall, and license plate between the joint and the insulation... I will tell you that while this method (what I like to call 'redneck engineering') did work well, I am not necessarily recommending you do this as it's obviously not something that's made specifically for this, just something to maybe get the gears turning to give you an idea.

Latest posts

Back