Soundproofing a Room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki791

Reaction score
I'd like to soundproof my apartment bedroom because I do music recording there. I have neighbors above and below and behind one wall. I heard that egg crate is one option, but I have a feeling that won't be enough. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The most cost effective way to sound proof a room is to add thicker drywall. If you have access to the stud cavity, insulation here will filter out the higher frequency noise. Also it is important to seal any air leaks around outlets and switches. The door should be replaced with a solid door which needs to be weather stripped around all four sides, like an outside door.

Read more here:

Soundproofing Walls, Ceilings and Windows

there are pads that can be professionally installed, but I beleive they are pricey.

The Handyguys will have a show about that soon, go to site and subscribe so you get notified when it comes out. Essentially three things "flanking paths" (seal any potential paths of sound), add mass and decouple spaces. We talk about each of these three things. Adding drywall adds mass. Caulking around outlets reduces flanking paths.

Back