Sparrows, rat with wings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applebear

Reaction score
For those that know, I have that side on my house that was redone...but it was never completely finished to the top. It has one small section on top that wasn't finished and there's a small gap between the siding and the roof where the sparrows didn't waste any time making a home. The last guy working on the house thought he remedied it by putting a strip of siding on the left side, but he only went a few feet...the sparrows just laughed and built baby nests down the remaining gap.

I've waited until the babies are gone, then tried asking around for a handyman to come block them. I only got one reply. He is very expensive. I just wanted to put a strip of siding along the side, just something to keep the pests from renesting. He's just fix it completely, that'll be 150...for one little strip of area? If it wasn't for my bad knee, I'd just get up there and nail the stupid stuff up myself.

But I digress, what he wants to do is put some quarter board [I think] along the top of the siding and seal it, that will go up to meet the bottom of the roof, finishing off the job. Is 150 worth that?? It still doesn't sound like it would be weather proof to me [as that spot is getting wet when raining], and was something I expressed if he wasn't willing to do the more simple fix I was thinking of. I feel a bit pressured as I don't want these flying rats to renest.

This pic doesn't show it the best, but you can see where the siding stops and the gap is right above that.

In my opinion, you should have it fixed right. It may be more expensive to do, but if you are having water get in there now, it will only lead to bigger (and more expensive) headaches down the road. Do you have any additional siding left over from the last time?

I have a little siding leftover. He was making it sound like he couldn't complete it with siding...I wasn't quite understanding why, something about how it finished off up top [it appeared none of the others were finishing it either when they were that close, so he seemed on to something]. I don't know how wood on top of wood is going to be any more weatherized than what is all ready there....I guess it's less about the money, and more about not understanding how he's protecting the side [not just blocking the pests out].

I called my care worker late yesterday...she is coming over early next week to look into her own resources and see about finding a way to do it for a little less. If we can't, I'll call back that guy and see if she can talk to him. She'll probably be able to understand where she can explain it to me better.

Thanks for answering!

Back