species of wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What species of wood is this?

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
Did they sell pine flooring in 1910?
Around here they built entire homes out of yellow pine back in the 1800's. That floor is in amazing shape if from 1910. To me it looks much newer or sanded and refinished in the last 30 years.

Around here they built entire homes out of yellow pine back in the 1800's. That floor is in amazing shape if from 1910. To me it looks much newer or sanded and refinished in the last 30 years.
All of the floors were sanded and refinished sometime in the past.

I have similar floors in my home in Jacksonville, FL, built in 1960, it is cement block home, on pier and beam foundation. Floors in excellent shape, it was 1 owner, until we bought it, in 2018. I am pretty sure these floors are original, never refinished.....

And you are right. Got a bid to replace it, $3400. At that price, I will do it myself.
I did a kitchen in it 30 years ago and it still looks great. The apron and vest stores sell it with a bead board finish on one side and flat flooring surface on the other.

Yours just looks like it could use a sanding and refinish. I have sanded quite a bit of yellow pine and it always comes back looking great and the stuff I did looked far worse than what you show in the photos.

I did a kitchen in it 30 years ago and it still looks great. The apron and vest stores sell it with a bead board finish on one side and flat flooring surface on the other.

Yours just looks like it could use a sanding and refinish. I have sanded quite a bit of yellow pine and it always comes back looking great and the stuff I did looked far worse than what you show in the photos.
It has an area on the end that got ruined by a plugged A/C condensation hose. Besides, we have to go through that room to the bathroom and kitchen. So I can't have it off limits for three days. Looks like I will put a pre-finished floor over that one. It is lower than the adjoining floors anyway.
I have done tons of carpet, vinyl and ceramic, but never any wood. Can't be that hard.

Somewhat tangential but, if you are planning to just lay something over it, you might want to consider vinyl plank flooring. I also have a floor that needs redoing and I'll be using LVP flooring over it. It costs about the same as engineered floor but often already includes underlayment and it is simpler to install. It is also thinner, which in my case means less of a height different to adjust for at the transitions. Just food for thought...

I don't want to hijack the topic, but I'd be happy to hear from others if anyone thinks that this is a bad idea. (I can start a new topic to discuss this further.)

Latest posts

Back