Split large magnet into smaller pieces

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 1 inch.

Depends on how fast the diamond wheel gets dull.

:)

I used to do a lot of tooling work for a company called Eriez Magnetics. They gave me a part to fixture to machine that was aluminum but was a super strong magnet. I asked them what it was made from. Here they embedded a magnet in a molded aluminum casting and then heated the casting and then rapidly cooled it to cause the magnet inside to shatter into thousands of pieces. Then would magnetize it and the sum of all these little magnets would be stronger than one big one and all the poles would be held aligned within the casting.

All I know is when they would stick this part into my fixture and machine the aluminum it was a devil to get out as I made my fixture from steel.

Keep it in one big ring. I just changed out my sub woofer drivers in my home theater as one was blown. My amp is around 1000 watts and powers both at something like 500 RMS each. I thought about pulling the magnet out of the bad one but haven’t yet.

As a kid my buddies dad fixed B&W TVs and he and I were allowed to tear down the junk sets to get all the copper coils out for scrap. There were also a lot of magnets in them and I always had an 8 quart basket of magnets to play with. We used to build little DC motors kind of science fair like using the magnets. Some of them ran pretty good.

I used to do a lot of tooling work for a company called Eriez Magnetics. They gave me a part to fixture to machine that was aluminum but was a super strong magnet. I asked them what it was made from. Here they embedded a magnet in a molded aluminum casting and then heated the casting and then rapidly cooled it to cause the magnet inside to shatter into thousands of pieces. Then would magnetize it and the sum of all these little magnets would be stronger than one big one and all the poles would be held aligned within the casting.

All I know is when they would stick this part into my fixture and machine the aluminum it was a devil to get out as I made my fixture from steel.

Keep it in one big ring. I just changed out my sub woofer drivers in my home theater as one was blown. My amp is around 1000 watts and powers both at something like 500 RMS each. I thought about pulling the magnet out of the bad one but haven’t yet.

As a kid my buddies dad fixed B&W TVs and he and I were allowed to tear down the junk sets to get all the copper coils out for scrap. There were also a lot of magnets in them and I always had an 8 quart basket of magnets to play with. We used to build little DC motors kind of science fair like using the magnets. Some of them ran pretty good.
That magnet was a bear getting it separated from the steel ring. I had to use 3 levers at the same time. :)

Dropping a magnet on a hard surface, or hitting it, can weaken its magnetism.

You've got the magnet, which is great, but you don't yet have the other piece you need which is the enormous copper coil.

The copper coil is not needed to use the magnet as a magnet. The copper coil is used to make a loudspeaker out of the magnet (and other components).

I broke one while trying to remove it from an old speaker and due to the strong magnetic field the chips didn't scatter.

Latest posts

Back