Split large magnet into smaller pieces

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit7

Reaction score
I salvaged this 10 lb magnet from a 1000 watt speaker.

I trying to make smaller magnets from it.

Wikihow says to either chip it with a hammer or saw it with a hacksaw.

What do you think?

I suppose it depends on what you're going to do with it. If you break it into chunks it will have rough surfaces, which you may find less useful or unattractive.

I think you should leave it whole and put it on the fridge to hold up a calandar :cool::rolleyes::eyeballs:

I suppose it depends on what you're going to do with it. If you break it into chunks it will have rough surfaces, which you may find less useful or unattractive.

I think you should leave it whole and put it on the fridge to hold up a calandar :cool::rolleyes::eyeballs:

It does not bother me if the chunks are not attractive.

Putting a 10 lb. magnet on my fridge is not attractive.

If you don't care about size and shape of the pieces smash it with a hammer. Otherwise use a hack saw or grinder to cut it apart.

Cool!

That is an easy way to get “hammered”.

You should put that in your luggage when going through airport security.
That will make for an interesting day.

Years ago, I was visiting my youngest sister, and discovered that her five year old son was obsessed with taking things apart to study them, just like I was at his age.

He had an old hard drive and was trying to get into it.
I showed him how to bash it apart, and that the coolest things inside were the EXTREMELY strong magnets.

He took them over to a nearby lally column to stick them on, and they instantly and painfully snapped down onto his little fingers.

I rescued his pinched fingertips, and I taught him a life lesson.
“Not everything that adults tell you can be trusted, or ignored”.

That was my intention as well.

Don't worry, be happy. (and flexible)

:)

I have no suggestions. I've never tried to break up a large magnet. Sorry.

I will add that a rare earth magnet is 1/10th the size and picks up twice the weight.

Bashing it apart will be an interesting experiment. Cut a bar magnet in half and you have two identical smaller bar magnets, but what will the polarity be for chunks from a ring magnet? Will a big piece be a curved bar magnet with polarity at the ends, or front to back? If you slice a narrow wedge, how would the polarity work? I think this is a question for someone who knows a lot more physics than me.

I would think that putting on safety glasses & cutting it w/ a metal cutting attachment or scoring it & trying to snap it like glass against a flat surface might work better-- but I don't know what the thickness/size/shape of this magnet is. Smashing it seems like it's begging for debris flying everywhere.

You can break a magnet into smaller pieces by scribing the break lines onto the magnet surface with a single point diamond scribe and then flipping the magnet over and striking the backside of the magnet surface with a hammer and chisel, where the chisel edge is aligned with the direction of the scribe line on the opposite side.

But the best way to accurately separate a magnet into smaller pieces is with a diamond-wheel grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Masonry-Diam...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Ok, NOW the image showed up for me. LOL. Internet was being stupid & wouldn't show it earlier. That's a large magnet. Sounds like cutting w/ diamond wheel grinder is the way to go. Remember to wear safety glasses though.

What sizes do you want the smaller ones to be?

Back