Square Cut for repairing drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, by sawzall you a "reciprocating saw". A reciprocating saw with a reciprocating action is great to cut drywall (without any precision) in voided spaces. But, yeah, it could be used if I add nailers and do not use the stud as base for the new drywall at all. It is a different approach

thks!
If you use a flexible blade, you simply ride along the side of the stud. You will get a perfect cut every time. Not sure why you think there will be no precision.

If you use a flexible blade, you simply ride along the side of the stud. You will get a perfect cut every time. Not sure why you think there will be no precision.

Yeah, I got the point. Neat and fast. The only problem is that I could not use the stud itself to support the drywall, and instead would have to blocks

They may have been dealing with warped studs and just space it out.

In new houses I to would use a sawsall but some older drywall had asbestos in it so a knife is a better bet.

Yeah, maybe the stud was somewhat crooked. I will cut the other portion in order to have confirmation.

I even considered that maybe in the 50s they had sheetrock with wood strips added to them.

Yeah, I got the point. Neat and fast. The only problem is that I could not use the stud itself to support the drywall, and instead would have to blocks

Is using nailer blocks a problem? If so, why?

Is using nailer blocks a problem? If so, why?

No, it is not a problem at all. Actually, I will them. I plan on using a pocket jig to create a very sturdy joint between the nailer and the current studs.

It seems that trying to cut the drywall deadly center would be more work anyways...

Pocket jig may be a little overboard. I would toe nail or toe screw them to the existing studs but it really makes no differencehow you attach them. Good luck.

Back